It’s time to start drawing back the curtain on the Fate Core Edition of The Day After Ragnarok, and we’ve decided to start out with a sample of one of the movers and shakers in the world after Serpentfall. We now proudly present, in fine Fate Core style, a paragon of American ingenuity and entrepreneurial know-how, Howard Hughes!
Film mogul, aircraft designer, engineer, industrialist, and eccentric, Howard Hughes (b. 1905) may be the richest man in what’s left of the world. Hughes Aircraft and Hughes Tool Co. lead the aircraft and oilfield equipment sectors, both among the few bright spots on the economic horizon. Hughes owns the movie studio RKO and the airline TWA; his Howard Hughes Herpetic Institute is the largest private-sector ophi-tech research company in the world. Hughes mostly lives in Los Angeles, but often flies one of his private planes to his offices in Houston; his political connections in Texas are almost as good as the ones he has in L.A.
Aspects: Eccentric Billionaire; Obsessive Tendencies; Hard of Hearing; Reclusive and Secretive; Aviation Pioneer; Vast Corporate Assets; Connected at the Highest Levels
Skills: Legendary (+8) Resources; Epic (+7) Contacts; Fantastic (+6) Crafts and Pilot; Superb (+5) Science and Rapport; Great (+4) Notice and Deceive; Good (+3) Provoke and Will; Fair (+2) Physique and Drive; Average (+1) Empathy, and Sail
Stunts: The Richest Man in the World (When rolling his Resources, Hughes does not have to worry about earning an aspect about diminished access to immediate wealth if he doesn’t succeed with style. His wealth simply doesn’t diminish.); She’ll Go Faster (He can coax more speed out of a plane than seems possible. Whenever he’s engaged in any contest where speed is the primary factor, such as a chase or race of some kind, and he ties with his Pilot roll, it’s considered a success.); Politically Connected (+2 to Contacts to create advantage with political types anywhere in the United States or Texas.)
Mental Stress: 0000 Physical Stress: 0000
Notes: Howard Hughes can make a terrific patron, ally, enemy, rival, guest star, or victim, depending on the campaign flavor. It’s up to you to determine exactly which Howard Hughes is on display here:
- The visionary inventor and potential patron for ophi-tech wielding heroes? Add the aspect Cutting Edge Ophi-Tech Inventor.
- The vindictive zillionaire, crushing his enemies with a private army? Add aspects like Vengeful Tycoon and His Own Private Army.
- The heroic anti-Communist crusader, willing to fund any plan that will hurt the Reds, no matter how wild? Add Anti-Communist Crusader.
- The corrupt political fixer, trying to build a megacorporation on government funding? Add Greedy Corporate Profiteer.
- The raving drug-addled lunatic, fixated on germs and Freemasons? Add aspects like Germ Obsessed, Drug Addict, and Paranoid Delusions.